Sunday, October 11, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving, Grandma! - Catherine Anne Schile

Holidays are traditional times for families to gather and see one another. My dad explains that as he and his siblings grew up, married and had families of their own, getting together for all the holidays got tricky with travel and in-laws pulling people in different directions. So, each year for at least a couple of decades, grandma Catherine (Schile) hosted Thanksgiving as her time to see all of us together. 

Since this weekend is Thanksgiving, this blog post is for you, Grandma! 

Catherine Anne (Schile) Schlachter


Catherine Schile was the fifth child of nine, born April 22, 1913 to Andrew and Elizabeth (Roth) Schile. She was born on the family homestead north of Foremost. I grew up on a farm south of Bow Island not that far from Foremost but, amazingly, I did not know that Grandma's house was standing there all that time. In fact, it's still there, and this year I went to see it.

Andreas and Elizabeth Schile Homestead NW-18-7-11-W4


I was able to spend a few days with my Dad this past summer, to focus specifically on family history, and we took a full day to drive around in the country. We visited lots of places that are very familiar to me, because it is "home". But then he showed me the house that his mother was born and grew up in. I took this picture from the road, but I wanted to get closer. It was a super hot day on the prairie and, though I was wearing my high rubber boots to guard against rattlesnakes, both Dad and I thought that it would be unwise to walk that far through the rustling wheat. So I will come back another day to get a better feel for the place. I'm still gob smacked that I didn't know this house was there.

Remainder School SE-6-7-11-W4



Catherine attended Remainder School, so-named because it was the last school district in the area to be organized. It was, literally, the remainder. There is Grandma, third from the left, in the second row. Her older brother Paul is sitting in the front row, second from the right. The photo caption indicates it was 1922 and so Catherine would have been eight or nine years old when this was taken. She completed grade eight and, at age 15, her school days were done.

St. Joseph's Cemetery


Directly east of the homestead is St. Joseph's Cemetery. There used to be a church there but that is long gone. The cemetery itself is in the middle of a field because the road allowance is now farmed over with lentils. Fortunately, the day Dad and I visited, the lentils had been harvested low and so we were able to drive closer to the cemetery without risk of starting a fire from the hot car. The cemetery itself was surrounded by tall wheat. I mentioned the rubber boots and the rattle snakes, right? In this case, I was determined to get into that cemetery so I grabbed Dad's cane and swished it ahead of me as I walked, trying very hard to believe that all the rattles I heard were only the ripe wheat.  I made it to the short prairie grass and then, at least, I felt I would have a chance to hear any snake's advance warning.

In this cemetery is the grave of Elizabeth (Roth) Schile, Catherine's mother, who died in 1931 at age 50.




Iron grave markers are common among Germans from Russia and can be found in the Dakotas, as well as Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Each maker, usually a local blacksmith, had their own style and level of expertise. Some of these markers are elaborate and some of them are quite simple.

Marriage

Catherine married our Grandpa, Joseph Schlachter, February 9, 1932 in the church of St. Anthony at Granlea. Our family has a long history with this church, and I will be writing an upcoming blog post just about St. Anthony's.


Catherine and Joseph farmed two quarters of land at Granlea and raised seven children there. An infant son, Joseph, is buried at St. Anthony's cemetery.

Catherine and Joseph semi-retired to Bow Island in 1966, the year I was born. So I only remember them living there. Grandma would always welcome me to her round kitchen table with a cold glass of apple juice and the Serenity Prayer looming down from the wall. She was an avid reader and a homebody. I can still taste her apple pie, the crust so flaky. Grandpa would be tinkering with something in the garage or sitting in his easy chair listening to honky tonk piano with headphones on (he was deaf but, if the volume was up way-loud, he could hear the beat). When I slept overnight there in the living room, they would wrap the family clock in a blanket to dull the ticking.

Thanksgiving at Grandma and Grandpa's

The Schlachter families gathered en masse once a year, for Thanksgiving, at that little house in Bow Island. 
This tradition carried on as the extended family grew larger and the house, mysteriously, still seemed to hold everyone. Part of the reason why it held everyone is that all of us kids, the cousins, were outside playing "kick the can" and drinking the case of multi-flavoured Pic-a-Pop that Grandpa bought for us each year. Later on, we'd go down in the basement and listen to the older cousins tell ghost stories or hover around the uncles while they played "smear". The women, of course, were in the kitchen. Every cousin has their own version of what went on at Thanksgiving and I have very fond memories of those times together at Grandpa and Grandma's.


Grandpa passed away in 1984 and Grandma moved to Medicine Hat, living there until her passing in 2010 at 97 years of age.

Family history and photos are collected from various sources, including:

  • Jackie Doran scanned collection
  • Shortgrass Country - A History of Foremost and Nemiskam
  • Ancestry.ca homestead records


No comments:

Post a Comment