Sunday, September 27, 2020

Elizabeth Eberwein (Schmidt) was our original Spa Lady

Truskavets, Ukraine, has been known for therapeutic water since the late 1500s and has been an official spa resort since the early 1800s. People still come there for the spas and Google search indicates it is one of the "7 Best Wellness Spots in Ukraine", and very good value :)

This is where the baptism of my great-grandmother, Elizabeth Eberwein (Schmidt|) was recorded in 1893. In another blog post with a Google Earth map of the Eberwein journey from Germany to Canada, I was not sure if the family had actually lived in Truskavets (Truskawiec (Drohobycz), Galizien, Austria).

But now I am more sure that they lived there, as the family migrated from the German village of Neu Kupnowitz, Galizien, to the German village of Vranovac, Bosnia.

For those tracing family history, finding actual documents to verify information is ideal. I was given the clues to find the baptism record of my great-grandmother, Elizabeth Eberwein. 

Call me a history nerd, but it was quite a thrill to find see her name written in script on a document.

The headings are written in Latin, so there are clues to figure out what they say, and there are lots of online translator apps. The rest of the document was a bit harder to read, as the written script was not so easy to decipher, and I wanted experts to help. I turned to a Facebook volunteer genealogy translation group for assistance and literally overnight I had the confirmation I was looking for! What a generous community of people online.

Below is the translation and transcription from 09/26/2020 by Carla Ratcliff and Valerie Baginski (Facebook Genealogical Translations group).

Greek Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) for Truskawiec (Drohobycz), Galizien, Austria; later Truskawiec (Drohobycz), Lwów, Poland; now Truskavet︠s︡′, Drohobych, L′viv, Ukraine.

(Note that the baptism is recorded in a Greek Catholic Church, but her religion was Evangelical. Perhaps the Greek Catholic was the only game in town, at the time.)


GreekRecord #593


Year

1893

Month and Day born

26 December 1892

Month and Day baptized

1 January 1893, Evangelical

House Number

#7

Name

Elisabetha

Religion

Evangelical

Illegitimate/legitimate

Legitimate

Confirmation

-

Number of House

7

Name of the Father and Mother

Father: Mathaeus Eberwein, son of Joannes Eberwein and Catharina nee Bisantz


Mother: Catharina daughter of Georgius Beszttof? and Maria nee Huget

Condition of the Father and Mother (usually what occupation they had)

Father’s Occupation: peasant _____? In Truskawiec

Name and Condition of the Godparents

Godparents: Ludovicus Issel, blacksmith in Truskawiec, and Theresia Laska, wife of Joannes, resident in Truskawiec


Further reading:

Historical background of Truskavets, with photos 

7 Best Wellness Spots in Ukraine

Elisabetha Eberwein birth and baptism record in FamilySearch

1 comment: